May is over and June is officially upon us! In Boston (and many cities along the east coast) it has been HOT lately, and I’ve been enjoying being outside as much as possible. It feels so good to finally be able to sit outside without shivering. With that, I’ve read tons of books, watched tons of TV, and just generally had a very productive month that I am excited to share with you all.
Books I Read
This month was a much better reading month than last for me, mostly because I got back on the audiobook grind. I had for some reason stopped listening to my books in April, and it didn’t work for me at all, so I don’t plan on trying that again. I binge read the entire Crazy Rich Asians series and cannot wait for the movie that’s coming out next year.
- Crazy Rich Asians, by Kevin Kwan (4 stars)
- Young Mungo, by Douglas Stuart (2 stars)
- China Rich Girlfriend, by Kevin Kwan (5 stars)
- Girls Can Kiss Now, by Jill Gutowitz (5 stars)
- Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan (4.5 stars)
- Rainbow Rainbow, by Lydia Conklin (4 stars)
TV and Movies I Watched
Another reason my reading went better this month mightttt be because i cut down on the amount of TV I watched. I did really enjoy everything I watched this month though, so it was a win overall.
- Orange is the New Black Seasons 3-7 (rewatch)
- Tales of the City (2019)
- Russian Doll Season 1
- Crush (4 stars)
- Our Father (3.5 stars)
Reviews You Can Use
Sometimes, we post reviews long after we’ve actually watched/read the content. This section is to share all of the reviews that you might have missed this month, so that you can find your next book (or movie, or tv show) asap.
- Young Mungo, by Douglas Stuart
- Late to the Party, by Kelly Quindlen
- Rainbow Rainbow, by Lydia Conklin
- With Teeth, by Kristen Arnett
- Hana Khan Carries On, by Uzma Jalaluddin
- Kaikeyi, by Vaishnavi Patel
- Dare to Lead, by Brene Brown
Posts We Wrote That You Loved
Here are all of the posts that you guys loved reading this month. There’s a couple of posts from older months on here this time because they’ve been persistently popular, which is very cool to see!
- The Killing Eve Finale Was Violent In the Worst Possible Way– The Killing Eve finale came out over a month ago but it’s still harming people enough that this
rantpost was the most popular of the month.
- Six of Crows, A Wonderful Universe– For Vania’s intro to the blog, she started publishing a series about Leigh Bardugo’s series “Six of Crows”. I’m such a huge fan of this series and everything Vania has done to break down the Six of Crows series. If you haven’t gotten around to reading it yet, you should asap. If you’ve already read everything there is to read, more posts will be out next month!
- A Complete List of Out Gay Players in the WNBA– if you found this post interesting, I’ll be updating it regularly for your continued amusement! If you think someone is missing, feel free to send us an email
- How Cara Delevingne Became the Jennifer Lawrence of Gen-Z– I’d been mulling this idea over for a few weeks before I wrote it, and then the Delevingne/Megan Thee Stallion thing happened and I know that I absolutely had to write about it. I’d love to hear your opinions / debates in the comments!
- Introducing our Newest Content Writer, Vania– I’m truly so glad Vania decided to join the team. Her writing is so great and she’s been so fun to work with!
- Get Involved: Ways You Can Fight the “Don’t Say Gay” Bill– The bills against gay and trans people in our country have only ramped up, and now the attacks are expanding to be against reproductive rights as well. It has never been more important to mobilize and fight back
Here are the books that I acquired over the course of this month, in one way or another.
- The Essential Dykes To Watch Out For, by Alison Bechdel– I know this book is old (2008), and it’s a graphic novel which I don’t normally read, but I bought it this month and am excited to get around to reading it.
- Mistakes Were Made, by Meryl Wilsner– I received an ARC this book from the publicist and I cannot wait to read it before it comes out in October!
Elsewhere on the Internet
Elsewhere on the internet this month, we have two great new accounts for you to follow. I am now social media manager of The Minison Project, a quarterly zine / lit magazine / sonnet collection series (each of which are published quarterly). I run their Instagram account and facebook, so make sure to go give us a follow. Aakanksha has also started a TikTok where she makes edits of TV Shows and Movies that she loved. Give it a follow for content that is sure to suck you right back in to the emotional state you were in when you watched it the first time.
Off the Internet
Off the internet, I had graduation this month! I officially graduated in January 2021, but our ceremony was delayed because of covid, but admin officially decided enough was enough and we had it this weekend. It was incredible to have all of my friends together in one place again, but it did mean I fell behind on a few things for the blog, what with all the preparations and hosting and things. June is looking equally busy for me, but I’m going to do my best to post semi-regularly again soon!
How was your month? What did you read? What did you watch? tell me about it in the comments!