It’s hard to believe that we’re already halfway done with the the year. So much has happened (most of it bad) and yet it feels as though no time has gone by at all. This post is a wrap-up of all of my favorite books, tv shows and movies that were published this year, as well as the most popular posts that were published on this blog. I didn’t want to wait until the end of the year to give a recap, because so much incredible content has been produced already, and it seems unfair not to highlight it!
Note that these lists are the intersection of 2022 releases that I actually watched/read, so if you’ve seen me writing reviews for other books this year, they probably weren’t published in 2022! If your favorite isn’t on the list, I probably haven’t read it yet.
Without further adieu, let’s dive in!
Best Books of 2022
The following books will contain a link to my review if I’ve reviewed it. The list is from best to worst, but this is all just my personal opinion and does not say anything about the actual quality of the book. I only included 8 books in this section, as opposed to 10 in each of the other sections, because I’ve only read about 12 books published in 2022 so far this year, and these were the only ones I felt deserved to be highlighted in a “best of” list.
- You Made a Fool of Death With Your Beauty, by Akwaeke Emezi (Review)
- She Gets the Girl, by Rachael Lippincott and Alyson Derrick (Review)
- Bi: The Hidden Culture, History, and Science of Bisexuality, by Julia Shaw (Review)
- Why Has Nobody Told Me This Before, by Julie Smith
- Girls Can Kiss Now, by Jill Gutowitz
- Rainbow Rainbow, by Lydia Conklin (Review)
- When We Were Birds, by Ayanna Lloyd Banwo
- Beneath the Stairs, by Jennifer Fawcet (Review)
Best TV Shows of 2022
The following shows will contain a link to my review if I’ve reviewed it. The list is from best to worst, but this is all just my personal opinion and does not say anything about the actual quality of the show. A show qualified for this list as long as at least one episode aired in 2022.
- Russian Doll: Season 2
- Hacks: Season 2
- The Wilds: Season 2 (Review)
- Heartstopper: Season 1 (Review)
- Batwoman: Season 3
- Yellowjackets: Season 1
- Inventing Anna (Review)
- And Just Like That: Season 1 (Recaps)
- Bad Vegan (Review)
- Bridgerton: Season 2 (Aakanksha’s Review)
Best Movies of 2022
The following movies will contain a link to my review if I’ve reviewed it. The list is from best to worst, but this is all just my personal opinion and does not say anything about the actual quality of the movie. Most of these movies are nonfiction, because I watch far more documentaries than fictional movies. My list of movies that I’ve watched so far this year is my shortest of all three media lists, and the list of good movies that are also 2022 releases is even shorter. Still, I think these 10 movies were worth the watch.
- The Janes
- Heart Shot (Review)
- Top Gun: Maverick (Review)
- White Hot: The Rise and Fall of Abercrombie & Fitch
- Grindr Baby
- Fire Island (Review)
- Crush (Review)
- Our Father
- Stand Out: An LGBTQ+ Celebration
- The Tinder Swindler
Best Posts of 2022
The following posts are listed from most popular to least popular, measured based on views through the end of June. There were sooo many incredible posts that the team wrote already this year, and I am so excited to see what is to come in the future!
- The Killing Eve Finale Was Violent in the Worst Way, by Jocelyn
- A Complete List of All 41 Out Gay Players in the WNBA, by Jocelyn
- Oscars 2022: Everything That Wasn’t the Slap, by Chinwe
- Introducing New Staff Writer, Chinwe! by Jocelyn
- The Racist Phenomenon of Russia-Ukraine, by Chinwe
- Get Involved: Ways You Can Fight the “Don’t Say Gay” Bill, by Jocelyn
- Six of Crows, A Wonderful Universe: Kaz Brekker’s Trauma Through Human Connection, by Vania
- The Cultural Shift of Gen-Z and Their Fixation on Astrology, by Chinwe
- Bridgerton Season 2: Cultural Identity, Representation, and Beyond, by Aakanksha
- The Weight We Give to Women’s Stories As Told by The Wilds Season 2, by Jocelyn
That’s all from us so far this year! We are a hardworking team that’s doing all of this work for free (and, in my case, at a deficit). If you’ve been enjoying reading the blog, please consider donating to help us cover costs and eventually pay our writers. They all deserve so much more than they’re getting!!
We’d also love to hear from you. What posts did you write that you love so far this year? What is your favorite book? Movie? Feel free to self promo in the comments and I’ll do my best to check out everyone’s blogs/instagrams/small business/ whatever else you accomplished in 2022 so far that you’re proud of!