I cannot believe that the summer is over. It feels like just yesterday I was getting excited about the prospect of hot weather and long nightly walks around my neighborhood. Now, the summer is winding down and I’m locking back in for the frustrating stretch of time where there are no holidays and no good weather to keep me content. August was a great month in so many ways, and I’m sad that it’s over.
Books I Read
I read six books this month, and it seems like half the books were amazing and the other half were just eh. I didn’t have a bad book this August, but there were a few that didn’t hit as well as I was hoping. If you read just one book from the list, it should definitely be Crying in H Mart.
- Normal People, by Sally Rooney (3 stars)
- Vera Kelly: Lost and Found, by Rosalie Knecht (3 stars)
- Book Lovers, by Emily Henry (5 stars)
- The Paris Apartment, by Lucy Foley (5 stars)
- The Maid, by Nita Prose (3 stars)
- Crying in HMart, by Michelle Zauner (5 stars)
TV and Movies I Watched
I watched so many movies this month, especially compared to my normal rate. I think there was something in the air that just had me binging full length features. That being said, I don’t feel that I was staring at a screen all that much, so there must have been a good balance.
- Uncharted (2 stars)
- Untold: The Girlfriend That Never Existed (4 stars)
- The Lost City (3 stars)
- Look Both Ways (4 stars)
- Fear Street Trilogy
- The Feels
Reviews You Can Use
Sometimes, we publish reviews long after we actually consume the material. Below is a list of all of the reviews I published this month, in case you want to read some reviews right now.
- Book Lovers, by Emily Henry
- The Paris Apartment, by Lucy Foley
- On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous, by Ocean Vuong
- Vera Kelly: Lost and Found, by Rosalie Knecht
- Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
- The Summer I Turned Pretty
- The Bachelorette Season 19
- A League of Their Own
- Why Are You Like This
Posts We Wrote That You Loved
Here are the most popular posts that were published in the last two months!
- Ocean Vuong’s Debut Novel Will Crush You… In The Best Way– Our newest staff writer, Maxx, wrote a great review of On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous, and all of the reasons why they absolutely loved the book!
- I Just Watched “Not Okay” And Now #IAmNotOkay– I wrote a review of this satirical political comedy that came out earlier this year. While it certainly accomplished something, i’m not really sure it achieved its goal
- The Problem With Miraculous Ladybug– Vania wrote about the extremely problematic series, Miraculous Ladybug, and all of the evidence that the fandom, creator, and show itself have become racist, sexist, and generally a bad influence on the kids who watch the series
- An Ode to the Unhinged Woman– I wrote a post in response to another article I read because it made me annoyed! I personally love the unhinged woman trope, and so I needed to make sure everyone knew that immediately.
- Astrology Informed My Identity, And Then It Was Wrong– In a foray into the personal, I wrote an article about how I was wrong about my astrological sign, and a lot of the confidence that I’d built up in relation to that deteriorated. I am one of the people that believes that astrology is real and if you’re not, this might not be for you.
- A Chat With Feyisayo Anjorin About His Latest Work, “Another Week in the Life of a Hypocrite”– I had the pleasure of interviewing Feyisayo Anjorin earlier this month, and it was. so much fun. I’m hoping to do more of these interviews in the future, so. ifyou’re an author please reach out!
A New Face
You may have noticed a new face at Write Through the Night earlier this month, and that’s Maxx, who debuted with their review of Ocean Vuong’s novel, On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous. We’re hoping to see a lot more of Maxx around here in the future, and I’m sure you’re going to love all of their content. You’ll find them here, as well as across the internet:
StoryGraph | Instagram | Wattpad | Twitter
Off the Internet
I’m a little behind on posts already for September, and that’s because I went on a 10 day vacation at the end of August! It was my first time ever going abroad, and I visited Paris, the Amalfi Coast of Italy, and Rome! It was so much fun and I took so many absolutely incredible photos while experiencing some of the prettiest places I’ve ever seen. I’m going to have to lock in more on blogging this September, but it was totally worth it.
How was your august?