I have watched New Girl fourteen times (in a year) and I also constantly have headphones on, listening to music to get through the days. So I figured I would combine two of my loves into one article.
I’ve given each of these New Girl characters seven songs because there are seven seasons of the show (and because I couldn’t stop at five, which was my original plan). You might see me do this format a few more times, so stay tuned!
Jess: Quirky, Indie Music Vibes (Twee was a THING)
A lot of people don’t like Jess, but the people who do REALLY do. She is a woman who owns her weirdness and refuses to let anyone change that. She loves a good ukulele and love songs. (Also she and Nick are PEAK grumpy x sunshine)
- “Inventing Shadows” by Dia Frampton (Inventing Shadows (The Voice Performance))
- “You” by dodie (dodie – You)
- “The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson (Ingrid Michaelson – The Way I Am)
- “Lollipop” by MIKA (MIKA – Lollipop )
- “Oh, It Is Love” by hellogoodbye (Oh, It Is Love)
- “Vanilla Twilight” by Owl City (Owl City – Vanilla Twilight (Official Music Video))
- “Prom Queen” by Beach Bunny (Beach Bunny – Prom Queen (Official Music Video))
Nick: Eclectic Music That Makes Sense to Literally No One Else
Why did I choose these? Because I can picture Nick awkwardly dancing to all of these songs. These songs have almost nothing in common except the visual of Nick dancing poorly to them.
- “Tennessee Whiskey” by Chris Stapleton (Chris Stapleton – Tennessee Whiskey (Official Audio))
- “Crawling” by Linkin Park ( Crawling [Official HD Music Video] – Linkin Park)
- “I Am The Highway” by Audioslave ( I Am the Highway)
- “Subaru Crosstrek XV” by Hobo Johnson (Hobo Johnson – Subaru Crosstrek XV (Official Audio))
- “We Didn’t Start the Fire” by Billy Joel (Billy Joel – We Didn’t Start the Fire (Audio))
- “Love My Way” by The Psychedelic Furs ( Love My Way)
- “Fever” by Adam Lambert (Fever)
Schmidt: Crying, Dancing or Crying AND Dancing
I know in the show he “only listens to EDM” but each of these songs made me immediately imagine Schmidt either excessively body rolling or crying on his bedroom floor, or both. Nothing in-between for him!
- “Lady Wood” by Tove Lo ( Lady Wood)
- “Get Busy” by Sean Paul (Get Busy)
- “1985” by Bowling for Soup (Bowling For Soup – 1985)
- “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” by Eurythmics and Annie Lennox (Eurythmics – Sweet dreams ( Lyrics 2020))
- “Otherside” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers (Red Hot Chili Peppers – Otherside [Official Music Video])
- “Hypnotic” by Zella Day ( Zella Day – Hypnotic (Official Video))
- “Cry” by Ashnikko and Grimes ( Ashnikko – Cry Feat. Grimes (Official Video))
Winston: Likes Anything He Can Dramatically Sing in the Car
I was going to include a song from Wicked, but it was too on the nose. Winston is my favorite character, and he just seems like the kind of guy who would jam to anything. I can also hear him singing all of these in my head—a true karaoke king.
- “Ring My Bell” by Anita Ward ( Ring My Bell)
- “Anything Could Happen” by Ellie Goulding ( Ellie Goulding – Anything Could Happen (Official Video))
- “Good 4 U” by Olivia Rodrigo (good 4 u)
- “Shakespeare” by Miranda Cosgrove ( Shakespeare)
- “Leave the Door Open” by Silk Sonic ( Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak, Silk Sonic – Leave the Door Open [Official Video])
- “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” by Elton John and (Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me)
- “She’s A Bad Mama Jama” by Carl Carlton ( She’s A Bad Mama Jama (She’s Built, She’s Stacked))
Cece: Bad Bitch Pop Bangers
Cece is a hottie who knows her worth, so naturally, I picked seven songs that represent this. (Of course Beyonce makes an appearance!)
- “Blazed” by Ariana Grande and Pharrell (Ariana Grande – blazed (Audio) ft. Pharrell Williams)
- “Coconuts” by Kim Petras (Kim Petras – Coconuts (Official Lyric Video))
- “Kiss it Better” by Rihanna (Rihanna – Kiss It Better)
- “Diva” by Beyonce (Beyoncé – Diva)
- “I Love Me” by Demi Lovato ( I Love Me)
- “Me Too” by Meghan Trainor ( Meghan Trainor – Me Too)
- “People I Don’t Like” by UPSAHL ( People I Don’t Like)
Coach: Secretly Loves Bad Bitch Anthems (and Funk Music)
Coach is a very complicated man who, especially earlier in the show, hides behind this tough guy persona. But don’t be fooled: This man will rock out to Britney Spears any day of the week.
- “Funk” by Meghan Trainor ( Meghan Trainor – Funk (Lyric Video))
- “Bright Lights, Bigger City” by CeeLo Green ( CeeLo Green ‘Bright Lights Bigger City’ OFFICIAL VIDEO)
- “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars (Bruno Mars – Runaway Baby (Official Audio Video) [HD])
- “Circus” by Britney Spears ( Britney Spears – Circus (Official HD Video))
- “Dangerous” by David Guetta and Sam Martin David Guetta – Dangerous (Lyric Video) ft Sam Martin)
- “The Champion” by Carrie Underwood and Ludacris (Carrie Underwood – The Champion ft. Ludacris (Official Video))
- “I Feel It Coming” by The Weeknd and Daft Punk (I Feel It Coming)
Do you agree with these recommendations? Do you have your own? Let me know in the comments!