I can hardly believe that 2022 is already over. December flew by in a rush of holidays and family and time off. It was also the best month ever in terms of views on this site! At the end of the year, I took a week off from posting to rest, relax, and get a head start on posts for 2023. This was SO incredibly needed, and I feel ready to kick off 2023 on a strong note.
Books I Read
This was one of my worst months for reading in a while, but given how much I had going on, I’m happy with it.
- Atomic Habits, by James Clear (4 stars)
- My Sister’s Big Fat Indian Wedding, by Sajni Patel (3 stars)
- Manhunt, by Gretchen Felker-Martin (4 stars)
- Small Game, by Blair Braverman (4.5 stars)
- Last Night at the Telegraph Club, by Malinda Lo (4 stars)
TV I Watched
Lots of great television for me this month! Modern Family was a complete rewatch, given that I watched the entire series while it aired, but White Lotus and the latest season of The Amazing Race were incredible as well. Emily in Paris… well… we’ll get to that in a full post at a later date.
- Modern Family Seasons 4-11
- The Amazing Race Season 34
- White Lotus Season 2
- Emily in Paris Season 3
Movies I Watched
Whenever I go home for the holidays, I always end up watching an absurd number of movies. Somehow this year, there were multiple movies that we started and didn’t end up finishing, and as a result I didn’t write their names down. Here are the 6 memorable movies that I watched this month.
- Emily the Criminal (5 stars)
- Everything Everywhere All at Once (4.5 stars)
- Who Killed Santa? A Murderville Murder Mystery (2.5 stars)
- The People We Hate at the Wedding (4.5 stars)
- Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (5 stars)
- The Menu (4.5 stars)
- The Beginning & The Middle (5 stars)
Reviews You Can Use
Sometimes, we publish reviews long after we actually consume the material. Below is a list of all of the reviews I published this month, in case you want to read some reviews right now.
Posts We Wrote That You Loved
Here are the most popular posts of the month!
- The L Word: Generation Q Episodical Recaps– I’ve been writing weekly recaps of The L Word: Generation Q episodes. While the show itself is… not great, it’s still fun to write about and talk about. Plus, we see lesbians on screen!
- White Lotus Season 2 is the Story of Shane and Rachel Staying Together– I loved season 2 of White Lotus! It was so much better than the first season, but in many ways eerily similar.
- Ranking the 50 Best Books of 2022 According to the Team– The whole team pitched in to write this post, and you guys loved it! Make sure to check out the 50 best books of 2022 here
- The Issue with the Criticisms of It Ends With Us– Maxx wrote about why they don’t think the criticisms of It Ends With Us are justified. This was incredibly well thought out and they put a lot of research into this article, so if you haven’t read it you most certainly should.
- The 25 Best TV Shows of 2022 According to the Team– Our second whole-team article of the year was this list of the best TV shows of 2022. It was so hard to narrow down all the incredible media we watched this year!
- The 22 Best Movies of 2022 According to the Team– All three of our “best of” articles made the top posts this month! It turns out very few people on our team actually watch movies, so I’m going to be keeping this in mind for gaps I have to fill going forward
I was luck enough to receive an e-ARC of Not So Perfect Strangers, a book set to come out in March! Besides that, I got Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow for Christmas, which I cannot wait to read.
- Not So Perfect Strangers, by LS Stratton
- Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin
Some WTTN News
As part of the latest reboot of this site, we brought on a full team of writers and that means we were able to create full team awards this year! We wrote a WTTN Best of Books, Best of Movies, and Best of TV Shows, all which I’m super proud of. It was a bit of a rocky process, given that it was our first year doing it, but now that we have the basic format worked out it should be fun to continue in 2023 and beyond!
Our team puts a TON of effort into every single post we write, and these end of year wrap ups too a particularly high level of commitment from everyone. If you enjoy reading what we post here, please consider making a donation, which will be used to cover site hosting costs and eventually pay our writers. Even $1 helps!
Besides that, we are searching for more volunteers! Priyanuj had to step away from his regular role this year, and that means we’re searching for new voices, especially in the Movies space. If you’re interested in volunteering, fill out this form!
Elsewhere On the Internet
I had one of my poems published in The Minison Zine Issue 17: Soup! You all probably know by now that I work as an Instagram/Facebook social media manager for The Minison Project, but that doesn’t make me any less excited to be featured in this issue. There’s so many incredible pieces in this zine, all of which are available for you to read for free on the website.
Off the Internet
Where to begin! I had a work holiday party, went to watch two of my sister’s college basketball games in person, watched MIT Women’s Basketball play Tufts, and hung out with my college friend who was back in town for the holidays. Besides that, I went to karaoke and the Boston Seaport Winter Christmas Market, spent a week at home with my family, and am currently visiting my girlfriend in Chicago!
In a shocking turn of events, I was fairly happy this month. Clearly whatever I’m doing is working, because the seasonal depression is at an all time low. I can’t wait to see what January has in store!
How was your December? Tell me all about it in the comments!