The 2022 Emmy Awards were a night of fun and excitement for anyone who exists in the world of television. So many incredible actors, directors, and writers were honored for their accomplishments which brought joy onto our TV and laptop screens. As with any awards show, there were decisions that I agreed with, and others that I… didn’t.
In honor of that, I’ve decided to redo the Emmy Awards and share who I would have voted for, had I been allowed on the committee.
Outstanding Drama Series
- Better Call Saul
- Squid Game
- Stranger Things
Official Winner: Succession
My Winner: Yellowjackets
It’s pretty incredible that Yellowjackets even got on this list, in my opinion. It has a strong cult following but I didn’t realize how widely known it was until seeing that. it got nominated for an Emmy. It’s a great show for anyone who enjoys the 90s or horror.
Outstanding Comedy Series
- Abbott Elementary
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Only Murders in the Building
- Ted Lasso
- What We Do in the Shadows
Official Winner: Ted Lasso
My Winner: Hacks
I love Hacks. I will fight for Hacks until my dying breath. It’s so funny, it has two female leads (controversial take according to these nominations), and it’s casually queer in a way that feels comfortable. I would also like it to be known that I tried googling for this photo and couldn’t find it, but it is everywhere on my Twitter feed. You’re welcome.
Outstanding Limited Series
- The Dropout
- Inventing Anna
- Pam & Tommy
- The White Lotus
Official Winner: The White Lotus
My Winner: The Dropout
The Dropout was so good. I loved it. I haven’t watched the White Lotus yet, so I cannot speak to that, but I can say that I thought The Dropout did a great job of pulling us into a world that existed in real life so incredibly recently.
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
- Brian Cox, Succession
- Lee Jung-jae, Squid Game
- Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
- Adam Scott, Severance
- Jeremy Strong, Succession
Official Winner: Lee Jung-jae
My Winner: Lee Jung-jae
The Emmys got it right on this one! Lee Jung-jae carried this series and made it the success that it is.
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
- Jodie Comer, Killing Eve
- Laura Linney, Ozark
- Melanie Lynskey, Yellowjackets
- Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
- Reese Witherspoon, The Morning Show
- Zendaya, Euphoria
Official Winner: Zendaya
My Winner: Sandra Oh
This was such a tough call for me! There were so many incredible actors in this category (headlined by celebrity crush Melanie Lynskey) but at the end of the day, despite terrible writing of the show, I had to give my vote to the one and only Sandra Oh.
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
- Nicholas Braun, Succession
- Billy Crudup, The Morning Show
- Kieran Culkin, Succession
- Park Hae-soo, Squid Game
- Matthew Macfadyen, Succession
- John Turturro, Severance
- Christopher Walken, Severance
- Oh Yeong-su, Squid Game
Official Winner: Matthew Macfadyen
My Winner: Oh Yeong-su
I’ve only seen Squid Game so far in this category, which limited my choices, but at the end of the day Oh Yeong-su was the stronger actor in my opinion.
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
- Patricia Arquette, Severance
- Julia Garner, Ozark
- Jung Ho-yeon, Squid Game
- Christina Ricci, Yellowjackets
- Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul
- J. Smith-Cameron, Succession
- Sarah Snook, Succession
- Sydney Sweeney, Euphoria
Official Winner: Julia Garner
My Winner: Christina Ricci
Ricci is just so incredibly good and making me feel creepy and also trust her at the same time. Nobody can do it like her!
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
- Donald Glover, Atlanta
- Bill Hader, Barry
- Nicholas Hoult, The Great
- Steve Martin, Only Murders in the Building
- Martin Short, Only Murders in the Building
- Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
Official Winner: Jason Sudeikis
My Winner: Martin Short
There is something about multiple men being nominated for lead actor from the same show in multiple categories when there are no women leads who are nominated from the same show that makes me uncomfortable. Yes, Killing Eve had the double nomination, but Hacks did not when I would argue Hacks is a stronger co-lead situation than Only Murders. I would also argue that both of these men are supporting actors and Gomez is the lead. This seems like it’s probably an essay for another time, but regardless, Martin Short wins my vote.
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
- Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary
- Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant
- Elle Fanning, The Great
- Issa Rae, Insecure
- Jean Smart, Hacks
Official Winner: Jean Smart
My Winner: Jean Smart
This was a tough decision for me among Jean Smart, Quinta Brunson, and Issa Rae (although I have only seen one episode of Insecure so far). They’re all such incredibly talented women and it truly was a great year for comedy series!
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
- Anthony Carrigan, Barry
- Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
- Toheeb Jimoh, Ted Lasso
- Nick Mohammed, Ted Lasso
- Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Tyler James Williams, Abbott Elementary
- Henry Winkler, Barry
- Bowen Yang, Saturday Night Live
Official Winner: Brett Goldstein
My Winner: Tyler James Williams
I’ve only seen SNL and Abbott Elementary on this list, but I do believe that Williams deserves it. His comedic timing is incredible and I love the energy he brings to the role.
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
- Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Hannah Einbinder, Hacks
- Janelle James, Abbott Elementary
- Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
- Sarah Niles, Ted Lasso
- Sheryl Lee Ralph, Abbott Elementary
- Juno Temple, Ted Lasso
- Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso
Official Winner: Sheryl Lee Ralph
My Winner: Sheryl Lee Ralph
Okay. Here’s the deal. While I believe that Sheryl Lee Ralph was the correct winner in this category, I FIRMLY believe that Hannah Einbinder was in the wrong category and she would have won lead actress over Jean Smart. Unfortunately for her, Sheryl Lee Ralph was the better actress in this category, so she falls to second place.
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie
- Colin Firth, The Staircase
- Andrew Garfield, Under the Banner of Heaven
- Oscar Isaac, Scenes from a Marriage
- Michael Keaton, Dopesick
- Himesh Patel, Station Eleven
- Sebastian Stan, Pam & Tommy
Official Winner: Michael Keaton
My Winner: N/A
I have seen none of these shows. I am sorry, but male-led limited series are clearly just not my cup of tea.
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie
- Toni Collette, The Staircase
- Julia Garner, Inventing Anna
- Lily James, Pam & Tommy
- Sarah Paulson, Impeachment: American Crime Story
- Margaret Qualley, Maid
- Amanda Seyfried, The Dropout
Official Winner: Amanda Seyfried
My Winner: Julia Garner
I think Seyfried did an incredible job of capturing Elizabeth Holmes’ speech patterns, but it still fell short of Garner’s magic in recreating Anna Delvey. Both of these women attempted similar feats and I ultimately disagree with who the Emmys think did it better. Am I putting Garner’s Emmy photo for Ozark down here? Yes I am. Use your imagination folks.
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie
- Murray Bartlett, The White Lotus
- Jake Lacy, The White Lotus
- Will Poulter, Dopesick
- Seth Rogen, Pam & Tommy
- Peter Sarsgaard, Dopesick
- Michael Stuhlbarg, Dopesick
- Steve Zahn, The White Lotus
Official Winner: Murray Bartlett
My Winner: N/A
Once again I’ve seen none of these, but it’s not my fault they gave Dopesick and The White Lotus 13943 nominations each rather than finding new shows with likely equally talented actors.
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie
- Connie Britton, The White Lotus
- Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus
- Alexandra Daddario, The White Lotus
- Kaitlyn Dever, Dopesick
- Natasha Rothwell, The White Lotus
- Sydney Sweeney, The White Lotus
- Mare Winningham, Dopesick
Official Winner: Jennifer Coolidge
My Winner: N/A
Please explain to me how none of the women in Inventing Anna got a nomination here because there were so many women who acted their asses off in that show.
Outstanding Reality / Competition Series
- The Amazing Race
- Top Chef
- RuPaul’s Drag Race
- Lizzo’s Watch Out for the Big Grrrls
- The Voice
- Nailed It!
Official Winner: Lizzo’s Watch Out for the Big Grrrls
My Winner: The Amazing Race
I voted for the only show I watch in this category, but I am happy Lizzo won. While I don’t watch or enjoy dancing shows, I have heard a lot of positive buzz about this one and it seems like she deserves it.
Outstanding Variety Talk Series
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
- Late Night with Seth Meyers
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
- Jimmy Kimmel Live!
Official Winner: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
My Winner: N/A
I don’t know enough about any of these to say, I only watch Youtube clips and they all seem exactly the same.
Outstanding Variety Sketch Series
- A Black Lady Sketch Show
- Saturday Night Live
Official Winner: Saturday Night Live
My Winner: A Black Lady Sketch Show
I haven’t seen A Black Lady Sketch Show, but I have seen SNL and it was terrible this year.
Who won the Emmys in your heart? What were the biggest surprises of the night?